Borgarello is a small town with 2.840 inhabitants located in the Italian province of Pavia, region of Lombardia. The urban center, embracing the two historical counties of Cantone Tre Miglia and Porta d’Agosto, is sited in proximity of the Naviglio Pavese waterway, situated in the lowland at 5 km north from the main town of the district - Pavia - with its outstanding Alma Ticinensis University founded in the XIV century. In documents dating back to 1181, Borgarello is being historically cited as “Bulgarello” (which in Celtic etymology means a “small rural burg”). Under the governance of the Visconti, the town was encompassed in the New Park, a widespread hunting land laying between the Castle of Pavia and the Certosa Monastery. Upon the extinction of the Sforza, the denomination of New Park as such was continued to indicate the administrative authority division to which Borgarello was submitted and now belonged to. In the XVI century the town became a feud of the Pallavicino family and later on of the Mezzabarba from Pavia. In 1929 the rural burg of Borgarello, together with Torre del Mangano and Torriano, joined the Township of Certosa; however in the end, in 1958 the small town became an independent municipality.
The site is easily reachable through integrated routes from the main urban municipalities: Pavia, which is 5 km afar, whilst the local “ex SS35 dei Giovi” highway links this rural area to the metropolis of Milan, at approximately 25 km distance and accessible through either a panoramic cycling trail (Corridoio Rurale dei Navigli) or by the “ S13 Trenord” Suburban railway from the Certosa of Pavia train station, located at 0.5 km in proximity of the ancient Certosa Monastery.